Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My Fan Club

I have a little ritual when I go on an interview. I picture my friends, family, and supporters sitting around me. They don't speak. They just sit quietly and read the newspaper or calmly watch the proceedings. Once in a while, one of them catches my eye and smiles at me or gives an approving nod.

It's my fan club--they're only in my imagination when I'm in an interview, but they're very solid in real life. And boy howdy, am I grateful for them.

For years, some members of the club have proudly and loudly proclaimed that they'd vote for me for president of the United States if I ran. The first time someone said that to me, I was more than a little surprised. Me? The president? That's when I realized I have what they call moxie. Personality. Verve. Spirit. Courage. Know-how. Energy. Initiative. And all of that translates into the ability to inspire, lead, and push the envelope.

I know that I will put my moxie to use in a nonprofit organization again. The universe is, for now, teaching me humility and patience. I thought I had learned those lessons, but I am happy and willing to be a student once more. As long as I have my fan club by my side.

4 comments:

Kate J said...

You are so smart it's ridiculous. I love the idea of visualizing your fan club--taking all the supportive people in your life along when you have to do a job interview, or anything else that takes a lot of confidence. (I'll remember that for my audition this weekend.)

And I love even MORE the phrase "the universe is, for now, teaching me humility and patience." That's brilliant. When there are things that I want SO much, and work for as hard as I can and still can't make happen and it's making me nuts, I need to remember that phrase and think about what it is I'm meant to be learning right now.

Man, you're like my guru or something. :)

Kate

Gary said...

I'm with Kate - you are a tremendous inspiration to me. When I saw you teach in class today, I wondered how someone could know that material so well and make it meaningful to an audience it would otherwise be lost upon.

You rock!

Baker's Dozen said...

You have my vote :)

Lost in America said...

Humility and patience. I think I'm too old for this lesson; I'll be dead before I internalize H & P. Here are the lessons that I've learned instead:
Persistence: when you can't get where you want to be, just keep going. You'll end up somewhere. Maybe it'll be a better spot than you expected.
Kindness: when you are feeling left out of the privileged class, practice kindness to someone in a less privileged class than you. This won't bring any change to your life. It might not bring any change to theirs. You will simply be a better person for it.
I remain, as ever, your biggest fan...