Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Little Trust Goes a Long Way

I have a fairly long-standing relationship with one of my clients--I'll call her Lauren. Lauren sends quite a bit of work my way, and it's work I enjoy. I have to use many different skills to do this work, including sales, relationship building, writing, editing, critical thinking, problem solving, and organization. So it keeps me on my toes. An added bonus from this relationship is that Lauren makes me laugh. She sends me emails at midnight that have witty little comments thrown in, mostly about people she doesn't like all that much.

She's fairly critical of people, and she has high standards. I understand this because I have high expectations, too--a character trait for which I've been both faulted and lauded. The fact that she continues to send me work is the highest compliment. She trusts me to do right by her.

Even so, it took me by surprise when she asked me to write a letter for her mother. Her mom needs help resolving an issue with "an institution," and Lauren is too tired and busy with work to do it right now. "I'll have her send you some bullet points, and you can write the letter. Is that OK?" Are you kidding? You trust me with your own mother's personal business, and you're sending me more work, and you want to know if it's OK? Um, yeah, I'm humbled and grateful, and you just made my day.

1 comment:

apple blossom said...

hi Erin,
i love your blog :),i am learning so many things and i am confident enough :)