Thursday, December 20, 2007

Back in the Saddle Again

I had to take a break from teaching for a couple of years because I got a little burned out. My day job was demanding more of my time, and when I couldn't muster one ounce of sympathy for "My dog ate my homework" anymore, I gave up. (Yes, adult students really say stuff like that.) No patience and not enough time do not make a good teacher. And as my sister and my ESTJ Myers-Briggs Type Indicator point out, anything I do I want to do well.

But I'm baaaaaaaaaack. Red Rocks Community College asked me to teach Principles of Accounting II this summer, which I agreed to do despite the daunting task of redoing all assignments for the new book, figuring out the new online homework system, and completing a file folder full (not kidding!) of human-resources paperwork. ;)

But what's really cool is that the University of Denver asked me to teach a master's level course this winter--nonprofit financial management for people in the social-work degree program. How exciting! (This is what maintaining your network can do for you, people.)

I'm thrilled about it because I'll get the opportunity to interact with my people--those who work in the human-services nonprofit sector. And I'm going to tap my network to bring in people with expertise I don't have to make it a fun, meaningful learning experience. And I will get to teach students at a higher level--hooray! So the only question remaining is: Will the dog eat their homework too?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Sounds like a great course and you'll be a fab instructor. I bet most of your students will be pretty diligent. Good luck!

Baker's Dozen said...

I'm so excited for you. Sounds like it will be a lot of work, but I'm sure you'll be fantastic!