Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Take a Little Piece of My Heart Now Baby

I dreamt the other night that my family had Dino (a funny-looking black and white dacshund/terrier mix) and Jenny (a black Lab) again--my first dogs when I was little. In the dream, I was refusing to give them up even though they were decrepit. "We're not getting other dogs!" I shouted to no one and everyone.

It's not hard to interpret that one. A year ago today we lost Rachel, our furry companion of almost fourteen years. Sometimes I still miss her so much it feels like my heart will burst. Thankfully those times are fewer and farther between now, but that underlying, steady layer of grief is still too close. It keeps the good memories at bay.

People have pretty much stopped asking when we're going to get another dog, which is good because when they do it makes me put up my "I-don't-feel-anything wall," which is bad. How does one adequately explain the thoughts and emotions that govern one's particular brand of grief? It's impossible, so I turn it into a tagline and change the subject.

But today I am grieving and putting it out there with the hope that the act of sharing will let some of the bad feelings slip away and some of the good memories take up housekeeping. How I do miss her little self.

Snoozin' on the bed 2004

Photo Shoot September 2004

Camping August 2006

Her last day--outside, where she loved it best

4 comments:

Carleen Brice said...

My heart goes out to you. What a cutie she was!

Gary said...

What a beautiful post. Oh man, I miss her, too.

Lost in America said...

I miss them all - Dino, my very first dog and all around character; Jenny, a sweetheart & escape artist; Hank, an excellent, patient companion; Goldie, my walking partner and the most mellow dog I've ever known; Rocky, a baby substitute in my mid-life crisis, devoted, loving, & still a rambunctious delight; Peach, the sweetest little ratter I ever had; Rachel, a furball of energy and attitude. Good friends gone and all sorely missed. We'll see them again on the other side.

Baker's Dozen said...

I miss having her lick my air and go wild for Greenie crack. Milo misses her uncanny ability to drag anything and everything off the counter for him to eat. She always marched to the beat of her own drummer & never took any guff off anyone- I can't wait to see her again on the other side : )