Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Riding the Creative Wave

I'm having the time of my life this summer learning new stuff in classes, meeting new people at networking events, and finding a way to organize my life during the job search. Surprisingly, I've spent less time enjoying my garden this summer than in the past because I've been so involved in the new reality of post-old job, pre-fabulous new job and just enjoying the process.

Having said that, I have have also desperately missed the creativity that goes along with solving complex problems and leading people. I'm thrilled when I get a consulting client who actually needs my brain for a few hours a week right now so that I can feel original and useful.

Since the garden is doing well right now (just needs some more color, which I'm working on a tiny bit at a time), I turn to my other creative outlets to find satisfaction. I recently reorganized my space so that I have lots of room for the seemingly endless supplies and tools associated with my jewelry-making obsession. Now I can actually leave projects out without feeling guilty about taking up all that room and can work on them when I need a fix.

Here are some fun creations from my portfolio: a vintage necklace that I completely took apart, rehabbed, and turned into a bracelet; simple sponge coral earrings; and periodot and pearl beauties that I made for Heather and gave to her for her birthday just yesterday. (She loved them!) My hobbies/obsessions feed my soul, and I'm ever so grateful for them.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is kind of like writing notes during AP Social Studies, only slower! : ) Glad you are finding ways to stay creative and challenged. Let me know if you decide to post/sell your creations on-line. I'd like to browse!

Amy M. said...

That bracelet is beautiful! What a great idea!

-Amy

Anonymous said...

Amy Stu,

Oh boy, are we dating ourselves. Gary says, "Do kids even pass notes anymore?"

I've been thinking about putting some of my creations on etsy.com. I'll let you know when I get that going!

Erin

Anonymous said...

Amy M,

Thank you! Art is so personal, and it's so reaffirming when someone appreciates my work. I always feel like Sally Field in her infamous Academy Award acceptance speech, "...you like me, right now, you like me!"